Warning: You are not logged in.
Your IP address will be recorded in this page's edit history.
Volunteer's first name. Please use "Joseph" and not "Joe".
OPTIONAL: For example, Joseph Donald Doe / Joseph D. Doe / Joseph (Joe) Doe
Please use the last name you held when your completed service.
Country of Service:*
Choose your country from a list of 145+ plus countries that PC served in.
Dates service started and ended:*
196019611962196319641965196619671968196919701971197219731974197519761977197819791980198119821983198419851986198719881989199019911992199319941995199619971998199920002001200220032004200520062007200820092010201120122013201420152016x to 196019611962196319641965196619671968196919701971197219731974197519761977197819791980198119821983198419851986198719881989199019911992199319941995199619971998199920002001200220032004200520062007200820092010201120122013201420152016201720182019
Date that your cohort was sworn in and when you COSed. Only the year is required.
Some sites have multiple names in different languages or the name has changed over the political history of the country. It is best to select the most colloquial or the most conventional name; a Google or Wikipedia search often helps determine which name is appropriate for use.
The name of the region where the site is located.
From US State:
State that Volunteer is from: .
From US City:
City that Volunteer is from: .
AgricultureBusinessEducationEnvironmentHealthInformation TechnologySkilled TradesYouthOther
Primary Program area. .
Secondary Program area (if you served in only one area leave blank.) .
AgroforestrySustainable Agricultural ScienceFarm Management and AgribusinessAnimal HusbandryMunicipal DevelopmentSmall Business DevelopmentNGO DevelopmentUrban and Regional PlanningPrimary Teacher/TrainingSecondary Teacher/TrainingMath/Science Teacher/TrainingSpecial Education/TrainingDeaf/EducationVocational Teacher/TrainingUniversity Teacher/TrainingEnglish Teacher/Training (TEFL)Environmental EducationNational Park ManagementDry Land Natural Resource ConservationFisheries FreshEcotourism DevelopmentCoastal /Fisheries Resource ManagementPublic Health EducationAIDS AwarenessInformation TechnologySkilled TradesWater and Sanitation Resources EngineeringHousing Construction DevelopmentYouthOther
Primary Assignment area (if you served in only one area leave blank.) .
Secondary Assignment area (if you served in only one area leave blank.) .
Third Assignment area (if you served in only one area leave blank.) .
Add some more information about your service in the text box below, such as a DOS statement, lessons learned, about you today, links, etc.
Rustin Johnson is a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (RPCV) currently located in [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham,_Alabama Birmingham, Alabama] with his wife, [http://www.peacecorpswiki.org/Erin_Gockel Erin Gockel]. Erin and Rustin met in the Peace Corps and were married in [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tbilisi Tbilisi] of the Republic of Georgia on February 28, 2008.
Rustin works for the Birmingham Veterans Affairs Medical Center as a Program Specialist Assistant for the Staff Development Department. He is also a part-time student at the [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAB The University of Alabama at Birmingham] (UAB) with a Pre-Nursing major.
Rustin was a Farm Management - Agribusiness Adviser under Community Economic Development Program in the fourth volunteer group for [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azerbaijan Azerbaijan]. His Pre-Service Training began in June, 2006. Rustin's service began in September, 2006 and was completed September, 2008.
'''Service with Host Organization'''
[http://www.umid-hsdm.com/en/index.php Ümid-HSDM]'s Northeast Regional Office, sponsored Rustin. Ümid was originally located in Quba, Azerbaijan, but relocated in [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khachmaz_%28city%29 Xaçmaz], Azerbaijan in October, 2006. Ümid-HSDM worked in collaboration with Community Housing Foundation ([http://www.chfinternational.org/ CHF]) and received funds from [http://www.usaid.gov/ USAID] to implement community development projects through the democratic process regions of [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabran_Rayon Devechi], [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quba_Rayon Quba], [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qusar_Rayon Qusar], and [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khachmaz_Rayon Xaçmaz]. Their projects focused on development programs such as: infrastructure development; youth development; civic opportunities; tourism aid, and new business development. Work service accomplishments include:Teaching staff English, writing, professional communication skills and encouraging; coordinating community development projects with an emphasis on youth development and environmental improvements, and efforts on fostering future partnerships with business and non-profit organizations with local or national ties.
* Co-conducted (with other PCVs) an English Conversation Club at the American Center in Xaçmaz which was noted by the U.S. Embassy as a model club
* Taught and assisted Home Country Nationals' (HCN) résumés building - including one selected for Muskie program
* Established a [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermicomposting#Vermicompost worm composting] system project to educate and promote environmental well-being
* Procured donation of books for introduction, setup, and maintenance of worm composting system from [http://www.wormwoman.com/acatalog/index.html Flower Enterprises, LLC]
* Acquired donations of workbooks for environmental lesson planning and class activities from overseas publisher
* Created lesson plans on a variety of topics to encourage English speaking and understanding along with lessons for PCV use in environmental education
* Organized and established local educational clubs created to enhance English skills and teach life skills to young HCNs
* Worked with HCNs to promote tourism
* Supervised and posted HCN written article for [http://wikitravel.org/en/Khachmaz Xaçmaz] on Wikitravel
* Created links between PCVs and local businessman to develop a beneficial exchange of ideas, skills, and assets
* Engineered [http://wikitravel.org/en/Main_Page wikitravel.org] articles for local communities
* Organized, promoted, and contributed to [http://www.wikibooks.org/ wikibooks.org] book guides
* Assisted PCVs with ideas, strategies, and implementation of projects
* Advised local service providers on methods to attract clientele
* Researched [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software open source software] - such as [http://www.ubuntu.com/ Ubuntu] OS - as a (legally) free alternative to expensive software with the added benefit of being neglected by [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware malware]
* Taught Media Club and encouraged students to think creatively and use independent thought to discuss plots, themes, symbolism and relate messages in media to the real world
* Encouraged youth to use the Internet as an information source and familiarize themselves with computer technology
Rustin served on the Volunteer Action Committee VAC for three quarters. He resigned before the last meeting of his one year term.
He helped write and implement an Environmental Committee by organizing ideas, defining goals, and advising PCV writing the bylaws after being asked for assistance by Ina Arnaoudova and Jenny Groza. He also served on the volunteer portion of the selection commitee with fellow volunteers, Ashley Hunziker and Ram Srinivasan. He also secured educational materials donated from private companies as resources for PCVs environmental work
Rustin served as a member of the Internal Resource Center Committee: a group formed to help organize and acquire resources provided by Peace Corps Azerbaijan for PCV use and advised staff on the creation and development of the Youth Development Program along with other volunteers
He also completed the Peace Corps sponsored Program Development and Management conference with his Azerbaijani community counterpart, Oleq Amrahov.
This is a minor edit
Watch this page