List of resources for Belize
From Peace Corps Wiki
Following is a list of websites for additional information about the Peace Corps and Belize and to connect you to returned Volunteers and other invitees. Please keep in mind that although we try to make sure all these links are active and current, we cannot guarantee it.
A note of caution: As you surf the Internet, be aware that you may find bulletin boards and chat rooms in which people are free to express opinions about the Peace Corps based on their own experience, including comments by those who were unhappy with their choice to serve in the Peace Corps. These opinions are not those of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government, and we hope you will keep in mind that no two people experience their service in the same way.
 General Information About Belize
On this site, you can learn anything from what time it is in Belmopan to how to convert from the U.S. dollar to the Belizean dollar. Just click on Belize and go from there.
Visit this site for general travel advice about almost any country in the world.
The U.S. State Department’s website issues background notes periodically about countries around the world.
This site includes links to all the official sites for governments worldwide.
This online world atlas includes maps and geographical information, and each country page contains links to other sites, such as the Library of Congress, that contain comprehensive historical, social, and political background.
This United Nations site allows you to search for statistical information for member states of the U.N.
This site provides an additional source of current and historical information about countries around the world.
 Languages in Belize
Peace Corps Spanish Course
Spanish Language and cultural orientation material made by the U.S. Peace Corps for volunteers.
 Connect With Returned Volunteers and Other Invitees
This is a website for returned Peace Corps Volunteers who have served in Belize. The site is a forum to share ideas and information, stories, and photos.
This is the site of the National Peace Corps Association, made up of returned Volunteers. On this site you can find links to all the Web pages of the “friends of” groups for most countries of service, made up of former Volunteers who served in those countries. There are also regional groups who frequently get together for social events and local volunteer activities.
This site is known as the Returned Peace Corps Volunteer Web Ring. Browse the Web ring and see what former Volunteers are saying about their service.
This site is hosted by a group of returned Volunteer writers. It is a monthly online publication of essays and Volunteer accounts of their Peace Corps service.
 Online Articles/Current News Sites About Belize
“You Better Belize It!” offers a variety of information for visitors.
Naturalight’s comprehensive guide to visiting Belize and doing business and living in Belize. (Naturalight Productions, Ltd. is an established Belizean company providing Internet marketing, photography, and multimedia production services specializing in the coverage of Belize.)
This site has information on the early history of Belize and on Mayan archeological sites.
 International Development Sites
Site for the United States Agency for International Development.
Site for the United Nations Development Programme.
Site for the World Bank.
 Recommended Books
- Arvigo, Rosita. Sastun: My Apprenticeship with a Maya Healer. San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco Reprint Edition, 1995.
- Eltringham, Peter. The Rough Guide to Belize: Includes Tikal and Bay Islands. London: Rough Guides Limited, 2004.
- McClaurin, Irma. Women of Belize: Gender and Change in Central America. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 1996.
- Nystrum, Andrew Dean ed. Maya Atlas: The Struggle to Preserve Maya Land in Southern Belize. Berkeley, CA: North Atlantic Books, 1997.
 Books About the History of the Peace Corps
- Hoffman, Elizabeth Cobbs. All You Need is Love: The Peace Corps and the Spirit of the 1960’s. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2000.
- Rice, Gerald T. The Bold Experiment: JFK’s Peace Corps. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 1985.
- Stossel, Scott. Sarge: The Life and Times of Sargent Shriver. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press, 2004.
 Books on the Volunteer Experience
- Dirlam, Sharon. Beyond Siberia: Two Years in a Forgotten Place. Santa Barbara, CA: McSeas Books, 2004.
- Casebolt, Marjorie DeMoss. Margarita: A Guatemalan Peace Corps Experience. Gig Harbor, WA: Red Apple Publishing, 2000.
- Erdman, Sarah. Nine Hills to Nambonkaha: Two Years in the Heart of an African Village. New York, NY: Picador, 2003.
- Hessler, Peter. River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze. New York, NY: Perennial, 2001.
- Kennedy, Geraldine (ed.). From the Center of the Earth: Stories out of the Peace Corps. Santa Monica, CA: Clover Park Press, 1991.
- Thompsen, Moritz. Living Poor: A Peace Corps Chronicle. Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press, 1997 (reprint).