List of resources for Albania
From Peace Corps Wiki
Following is a list of websites for additional information about the Peace Corps and Albania and to connect you to returned Volunteers and other invitees.
A note of caution: As you surf these sites, be aware that you will find bulletin boards and chat rooms in which people are free to give opinions and advice based on their own experiences. The opinions expressed are not those of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. You may find opinions of people who were unhappy with their choice to serve in the Peace Corps. As you read these comments, we hope you will keep in mind that the Peace Corps is not for everyone, and no two people experience their service in the same way.
 General Information About Albania
This site has a map and general information about Albania and its history.
On this site, you can learn anything from what time it is in Tirana to how to convert from the dollar to the lek. Just click on Albania and go from there.
Visit this site for general travel advice about almost any country in the world.
The U.S. State Department’s website issues background notes periodically about countries around the world. Find Albania and learn more about its social and political history.
Provides general and statistical information on Albania.
This site includes links to all the official sites for governments worldwide.
This online world atlas includes maps and geographical information. Each country page contains links to other sites, such as the Library of Congress, that contain comprehensive historical, social, and political background.
This United Nations site allows you to search for statistical information for member states of the U.N.
This site provides an additional source of current and historical information for 228 countries.
 Connect With Returned Volunteers and Other Invitees
This is the site
This site is known as the Returned Peace Corps Volunteer Web Ring. Browse the Web ring and see what former Volunteers are saying about their service.
This site is hosted by a group of returned Volunteer writers. It is a monthly online publication of essays and Volunteer accounts of their Peace Corps service.
This site is billed an independent news forum serving returned Volunteers. It has links to Albania returned Volunteer groups.
 Current News Sites/Online Articles About Albania
Albanian government site about the President of Albania in both English and Albanian (Shqip)
News about different countries in the Balkan region, including Albania. In Albanian.
Provides links to online newspapers covering Albania
Provides links to news about Albania
Geopolitical news service covering over 263 countries; includes online news feed about Albania.
Site of the Center for Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies at the University of Texas-Austin. Lots of information about Albania and links.
Contains information on Albanian culture, art, current events, news, history, trading, and food. Includes an extensive photo album with pictures from all over Albania. Site is in Albanian.
 International Development Sites About Albania
Information about the work of the U.S. Agency for International Development in Albania.
The United Nations Development Programme in Albania
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Regional Environmental Center for Central and Eastern Europe
The Open Society Institute is
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
International Organization for Migration
 Information and Travel
Contains information about Albania and useful links.
Contains useful travel information and links to other sites, both in and out of Albania.
Primarily for travelers, but some interesting information in the “Albanian Forums” section.
 Albanian Language
Contains information about the language, including its history and alphabet. The proverbs section is particularly interesting.
Online classes with live teachers Learn Albanian before traveling to Albania.
Site has words you can listen to and practice pronunciation prior to training.
Online Dictionary (Albanian-English and English–Albanian)
Pimsleur language tapes for sale (may be cheaper at other venues (e.g., eBay)
Peace Corps Albanian Course
Language and cultural orientation material made by the U.S. Peace Corps for voluteers.
 Recommended Books
- Biberaj, Elez. Albania in Transition: the Rocky Road to Democracy. (Nations of the World Series). Boulder: Westview Press, 1998 (hardback), 1999 (paperback).
- Biberaj, Elez. Albania: A Socialist Maverick. Boulder: Westview Press, 1990.
- Carver, Robert. The Accursed Mountains: Journeys in Albania. London: HarperCollins Publishers Ltd., 2000 (paperback).
- Durham, Edith. High Albania: A Victorian Traveller’s Balkan Odyssey. London: Phoenix Press, 2000 (paperback).
- Fonseca, Isabel. Bury Me Standing: The Gypsies and Their Journey. New York: Vintage Books, 1996 (paperback).
- Glenny, Misha. The Balkans: Nationalism, War and the Great Powers, 1804-1999. New York: Penguin, 2000 (paperback).
- Jones, Lloyd. Biografi: An Albanian Quest. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1994.
- Kadare, Ismail. Albanian Spring. London: Saqi Books, 2001 (paperback).
- Kaplan, Robert. Balkan Ghosts: A Journey through History. New York: Picador Press, 2005 (paperback).
- Karklins, Rasma. The System Made Me Do It: Corruption in Post-Communist Societies. Armonk, N.Y.: M.E. Sharpe, Inc., 2005.
- Olsen, Neil and Rhodri Jones. Albania (Oxfam Country Profile Series). London: Oxfam Publishing, 2000 (paperback).
- Pettifer, James. Blue Guide: Albania and Kosovo. New York: A. & C. Black, Ltd., 2001 (paperback).
- Schwandner-Sievers, Stephanie and Bernd Jurgen Fischer. Albanian Identities: Myth and History. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2002 (paperback).
- Vickers, Miranda. The Albanians: A Modern History (revised edition). London: I. B. Tauris, 2001 (paperback).
- Vickers, Miranda, and James Pettifer. Albania: From Anarchy to Balkan Identity. New York: New York University Press, 2000 (paperback).
- West, Rebecca. Black Lamb and Grey Falcon: A Journey through Yugoslavia. New York: Penguin Books, 1995 (paperback).
- Wilkes, John. The Illyrians (Peoples of Europe Series). Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, 1995 (paperback).
 Books About the History of the Peace Corps
- Hoffman, Elizabeth Cobbs. All You Need is Love: The Peace Corps and the Spirit of the 1960’s. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2000.
- Rice, Gerald T. The Bold Experiment: JFK’s Peace Corps. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 1985.
- Stossel, Scott. Sarge: The Life and Times of Sargent Shriver. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press, 2004.
 Books on the Volunteer Experience
- Dirlam, Sharon. Beyond Siberia: Two Years in a Forgotten Place. Santa Barbara, CA: McSeas Books, 2004.
- Casebolt, Marjorie DeMoss. Margarita: A Guatemalan Peace Corps Experience. Gig Harbor, WA: Red Apple Publishing, 2000.
- Erdman, Sarah. Nine Hills to Nambonkaha: Two Years in the Heart of an African Village. New York, NY: Picador, 2003.
- Hessler, Peter. River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze. New York, NY: Perennial, 2001.
- Kennedy, Geraldine (ed.) From the Center of the Earth: Stories out of the Peace Corps. Santa Monica, CA: Clover Park Press, 1991.
- Thompsen, Moritz. Living Poor: A Peace Corps Chronicle. Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press, 1997 (reprint).