From Peace Corps Wiki
This program is currently suspended.
The Government of Gabon has stated its intention to address a broad range of development needs: increase farmer productivity and environmental awareness as well as tackle health problems associated with HIV/AIDS transmission, diarrheal diseases, and malnutrition. Peace Corps Volunteers are helping Gabon address these issues through a variety of projects. In the health sector, Volunteers help educate communities about their resources and needs by focusing on maternal and child nutrition and reproductive health.
 Natural Resource Conservation and Agricultural Production
In 2001, the Environmental Education (EE) project was brought back under the umbrella of the Forest and Agricultural Resources Management project (FARM). The result, a new Natural Resource Conservation and Agricultural Production project that focuses on two areas: training farmers to use conservation techniques that increase yields by managing forest resources; and, working with youth and adults, through awareness activities, to enhance their capacity to sustain the environment.
The Community Health project focuses on maternal and child health and nutrition, reproductive health, and AIDS prevention. As health educators, Volunteers work with Gabonese health officials to conduct home visits, assess community health needs, and facilitate local action for health improvement. They also organize vaccination campaigns, HIV/AIDS awareness programs, village health worker seminars and workshops that promote gardening and nutrition.
Volunteers and their counterparts visit patients in their homes to provide counseling on various health issues as well as to encourage members of the community to use health facilities for treatment and care. During 2000, over 7,000 community members have attended educational programs on the prevention of HIV/AIDS and sexually transmitted diseases.
 Peace Corps News
- War and peace in West Africa - USC News (Jul 16)
- Congress Petitions FBI For More Active Role in Peace Corps Murder Investigation - ABC News (Apr 03)
- Man convicted in 1998 murder of Peace Corps volunteer from Upper Chichester - Delaware County Daily Times (Nov 20)
- First Person Singular: - Washington Post (Oct 25)
- Too Old to Volunteer Abroad? Think Again! - Huffington Post (blog) (Jun 10)
- Michigan Tech Tops the Nation in Numbers of Peace Corps Master's ... - Michigan Tech News (Apr 06)