Friends of Senegal and The Gambia
From Peace Corps Wiki
Friends of Senegal and The Gambia, or FOSG, an affiliate of the National Peace Corps Association (NPCA).
- to promote communication among returned Peace Corps volunteers, current Peace Corps volunteers, trainees, and current and former staff who have served in these countries, as well as family and friends.
- to organize and promote projects to aid the citizens of Senegal and The Gambia
- to promote the "third goal" of the Peace Corps -- bringing the world back home -- with emphasis on Senegal and The Gambia.
 Who we are
We are currently looking for a new co-leader who served in Senegal to join co-leader Erica Burman (The Gambia, '87-'89). Our Treasurer is Scott Lewis. Our membership coordinator is Ann Carrellas. Our webmaster is Eric Shaffner (Senegal, '94-'96). Pip also edits our newsletter, The Tam Tam. Receive regular Senegal and Gambia news updates, ask questions and exchange information with PCVs, RPCVs, and prospective RPCVs at our Yahoo! listserv.
 What we've done
In 2005 we provided the Senegalese NGO TOSTAN with funds to help transport people from distant villages (including some in The Gambia) to one Tostan's public declaration ceremonies renouncing female genital cutting. Over the years we have also supported the SeneGAD committee's Michelle Sylvester Scholarship and the Peace Corps Gambia Scholarship Fund.
In conjunction with Peace Corps conferences we have held group social events, most recently in Chicago in August 2004. When in Washington, DC we have had involvement by the Senegalese and Gambian Embassies. In February 2004 FOSG was invited to meet with the new Senegalese ambassador.
Our group's Web site won the NPCA's 2004 Web site award, and we have participated in the 2005 & 2006 National Days of Action in support of Peace Corps.
 What we'd like to do
We are in contact with PCVs in both Senegal and The Gambia. We would like to explore ways to support their efforts, as well as RPCVs here in the States who continue to help the people of Senegal and The Gambia.
We welcome your ideas, suggestions, stories, contributions and assistance in making this organization and this web site a vibrant, dynamic vehicle for furthering our aims.
 Stay in Touch!
Whether you formally join or not, FOSG and the NPCA would still love to know how to contact you, because as the saying goes, "once a volunteer, always a volunteer" - whether you know it or not, you're part of a special community. We'd like to know how to locate you in case someone (Fellow RPCV? Former student? Host family?) wants to locate you. Or to send you announcements of general interest concerning things Senegal, Gambia or Peace Corps.
 Why Join Friends of Senegal and The Gambia (FOSG)?
- You'll get The Tam Tam.
- You'll be contributing to the aims and goals of FOSG.
- Your membership fees will contribute to projects in Senegal and The Gambia.
- You'll have a vote in project funding and officer elections.
- You'll help us help you connect with Peace Corps volunteers past, present and future.
- You'll help us help you stay connected with Senegal and The Gambia.
- Access to FOSG's online database, enabling you to stay in touch with old training group-mates, site partners, RPCVs in your state, and so on.